Curriculum

Explore all 1,590 open curriculum concepts.

Advanced filters 2
Personal & Social DevelopmentSelf-AwarenessAges 5–10

Vocabulary: self

Know and use the vocabulary of self-reflection — self-awareness, reflect, pattern, trigger, assumption, impact, perspective, and notice — and understand that having precise words for these inner experiences makes them easier to understand and talk about

Teach this topic
Share and support

Teaching Table · Plan outline

Set out your lesson

A reviewed step-by-step guide is not available yet. This is an outline from the plan, not a fully authored guide.

“After a difficult moment — a falling-out with a friend or a frustrating task — can your child talk about what happened using words like 'trigger' or 'reflect', showing they're thinking about their own reactions rather than just what the other person did?”

Full guide and materials
  1. Activity. Know and use the vocabulary of self-reflection — self-awareness, reflect, pattern, trigger, assumption, impact, perspective, and notice — and understand that having precise words for these inner experiences makes them easier to understand and talk about

What to notice. Use words like 'reflect', 'pattern', and 'trigger' accurately when describing their own behaviour — e.g. 'I notice a pattern: I get frustrated when I rush' • Explain what 'self-awareness' means in their own words and give a personal example • Use the word 'perspective' correctly — e.g. 'From my perspective it felt unfair, but I can see theirs too'

Compare teaching approaches

Teaching approaches

Gakuva’s recommended starting approach is selected. You can still compare every option.

1 approach

Selected Default Gakuva

After a difficult moment — a falling-out with a friend or a frustrating task — can your child talk about what happened using words like 'trigger' or 'reflect', showing they're thinking about their own reactions rather than just what the other person did?

Know and use the vocabulary of self-reflection — self-awareness, reflect, pattern, trigger, assumption, impact, perspective, and notice — and understand that having precise words for these inner experiences makes them easier to understand and talk about

Family records and proof options

Keep a record of your learning

Save photos, notes, and attendance. Export a proof packet for compliance or portfolio reviews.

Learning resources

Reviewed external links that reinforce this concept. They do not replace Gakuva’s teaching approach.

No reviewed resources for this concept yet.

The teaching approach above still stands. Curated practice links will appear here as the shelf fills.

Check understanding

  • Use words like 'reflect', 'pattern', and 'trigger' accurately when describing their own behaviour — e.g. 'I notice a pattern: I get frustrated when I rush'
  • Explain what 'self-awareness' means in their own words and give a personal example
  • Use the word 'perspective' correctly — e.g. 'From my perspective it felt unfair, but I can see theirs too'
“After a difficult moment — a falling-out with a friend or a frustrating task — can your child talk about what happened using words like 'trigger' or 'reflect', showing they're thinking about their own reactions rather than just what the other person did?”

Curriculum record

Type
Language
Subject
Personal & Social Development
Domain
Self-Awareness
Age range
Ages 5–10