Expressing & Justifying Opinions
Articulate and justify answers, arguments, and opinions; participate in discussions, presentations, performances, role play, and debates
Share and support
Teaching Table · Reviewed guide
Set out your lesson
“An opinion is what you think. A justification is the reason. We practice the full frame: “I think ___ because ___.” One-word likes are a start; the reason makes the opinion clear.”
Bring to the table
- Two large ready pictures or objects: apple and banana, or any two familiar snacks/toys
- Paper and crayon optional for drawing the chosen item
Full guide and materials
- Two large ready pictures or objects: apple and banana, or any two familiar snacks/toys
- Paper and crayon optional for drawing the chosen item
- Step 1. Show both items. Ask, “Which do you like better?”
- Step 2. After the choice, prompt, “Why? Finish this: I think ___ because ___.”
- Step 3. Restate their full sentence so they hear the opinion and the reason together.
- Step 4. Switch: you give an opinion with a weak reason, and your child asks “Why?” until you give a clearer because clause.
- Step 5. Do one more pair, such as two books or two toys, and have your child give a full justified opinion without the stem card if possible.
- Quick check. Success means your child names a preference and gives at least one clear reason in an “I think … because …” sentence.
Worked example. “I think the apple is better because it is crunchy and sweet.” Not enough: “Because I just do.”
Optional challenge. Compare two good options and justify the choice by comparing them: “I think the car is better than the block because it can roll.”
What to notice. Save a parent note quoting the full “I think … because …” sentence.
Compare teaching approaches
Teaching approaches
Gakuva’s recommended starting approach is selected. You can still compare every option.
1 approach
An opinion is what you think. A justification is the reason. We practice the full frame: “I think ___ because ___.” One-word likes are a start; the reason makes the opinion clear.
Spend about 10 minutes choosing between two items and justifying the choice with a reason.
Family records and proof options
Keep a record of your learning
Save photos, notes, and attendance. Export a proof packet for compliance or portfolio reviews.
Learning resources
Reviewed external links that reinforce this concept. They do not replace Gakuva’s teaching approach.
No reviewed resources for this concept yet.
The teaching approach above still stands. Curated practice links will appear here as the shelf fills.
Check understanding
- State an opinion and give a reason (e.g. 'I think ... because ...')
- Participate in a class presentation or performance with confidence
- Explain thinking when answering a question rather than just giving a one-word answer
“When your child disagrees with something or has an opinion, can they say why they think that and back it up with a reason rather than just saying "because I just do"?”
Curriculum record
- Type
- Procedural
- Subject
- English
- Domain
- Speaking & Listening
- Age range
- Ages 4–6
Standards