Early Word Problems
Solve one-step word problems involving addition and subtraction to 20, including missing-number problems
Share and support
Teaching Table · Plan outline
Set out your lesson
A reviewed step-by-step guide is not available yet. This is an outline from the plan, not a fully authored guide.
“If you say 'I had some sweets, ate 5, and now have 9 left — how many did I start with?', can your child figure out the missing number?”
Full guide and materials
- Activity. Solve one-step word problems involving addition and subtraction to 20, including missing-number problems
What to notice. Solve 'I have 12 sweets and eat 4, how many left?' • Solve missing number: 7 = [ ] – 9 • Solve problems using concrete objects and pictorial representations
Compare teaching approaches
Teaching approaches
Gakuva’s recommended starting approach is selected. You can still compare every option.
1 approach
If you say 'I had some sweets, ate 5, and now have 9 left — how many did I start with?', can your child figure out the missing number?
Solve one-step word problems involving addition and subtraction to 20, including missing-number problems
Family records and proof options
Keep a record of your learning
Save photos, notes, and attendance. Export a proof packet for compliance or portfolio reviews.
Learning resources
Reviewed external links that reinforce this concept. They do not replace Gakuva’s teaching approach.
No reviewed resources for this concept yet.
The teaching approach above still stands. Curated practice links will appear here as the shelf fills.
Check understanding
- Solve 'I have 12 sweets and eat 4, how many left?'
- Solve missing number: 7 = [ ] – 9
- Solve problems using concrete objects and pictorial representations
“If you say 'I had some sweets, ate 5, and now have 9 left — how many did I start with?', can your child figure out the missing number?”
Curriculum record
- Type
- Procedural
- Subject
- Mathematics
- Domain
- Addition & Subtraction
- Age range
- Ages 5–7
Standards