Curriculum

Explore all 1,590 open curriculum concepts.

Advanced filters 2
EnglishGrammar & PunctuationAges 10–11

The subjunctive mood

Use the subjunctive form in formal writing and speech to express wishes, demands, suggestions, or hypothetical situations (e.g., 'If I were you', 'I suggest that he go', 'Were they to arrive')

Teach this topic
Share and support

Teaching Table

Set out your lesson

Use formal subjunctive forms for hypothetical situations and recommendations.

Activity

Follow this model in an accessible mode before attempting independent work. Graph ordering is not learner mastery; revisit prerequisites if the guided task still needs full modeling.

Policy

Check readiness rather than assuming source graph order establishes attainment.

Read the invented formal letter excerpts; these are not legal documents or advice. Open Show (S), then Guided (G), then Try (T). Hide earlier work and keys before Try. Use only the supplied stage material; do not invent additional cards. Pause or split the session if needed.

Materials are ready in each step. Use them on screen or print just the current step. Put teaching examples aside before the learner tries.

What this lesson covers and its limits

These are bounded opportunities, not learner attainment. Partial and blocked source requirements remain so.

  • partial: Use the subjunctive form in formal writing and speech to express wishes, demands, suggestions, or hypothetical situations (e.g., 'If I were you', 'I suggest that he go', 'Were they to arrive')

    Formal-letter practice only, not legal drafting or a judgement against a learner’s home dialect.

  • partial: Write sentences using 'If I were' to express hypothetical conditions

    Formal-letter practice only, not legal drafting or a judgement against a learner’s home dialect.

  • partial: Transform informal sentences into formal equivalents using subjunctive forms such as 'I recommend that she attend'

    Formal-letter practice only, not legal drafting or a judgement against a learner’s home dialect.

  • partial: Identify subjunctive mood in formal texts such as legal documents or formal letters

    Formal-letter practice only, not legal drafting or a judgement against a learner’s home dialect.

  • partial: When {{name}} writes a formal letter or a persuasive essay, can they use phrases like "If I were in charge…" or "The school suggests that every pupil attend…" to sound more formal and precise?

    Formal-letter practice only, not legal drafting or a judgement against a learner’s home dialect.

  • Formal-letter practice only, not legal drafting or a judgement against a learner’s home dialect.

Share teaching feedbackContinue to your family plan
Family records and proof options

Keep a record of your learning

Save photos, notes, and attendance. Export a proof packet for compliance or portfolio reviews.

Learning resources

Reviewed external links that reinforce this concept. They do not replace Gakuva’s teaching approach.

No reviewed resources for this concept yet.

The teaching approach above still stands. Curated practice links will appear here as the shelf fills.

Check understanding

  • Write sentences using 'If I were' to express hypothetical conditions
  • Transform informal sentences into formal equivalents using subjunctive forms such as 'I recommend that she attend'
  • Identify subjunctive mood in formal texts such as legal documents or formal letters
“When your child writes a formal letter or a persuasive essay, can they use phrases like "If I were in charge…" or "The school suggests that every pupil attend…" to sound more formal and precise?”

Curriculum record

Type
Procedural
Subject
English
Domain
Grammar & Punctuation
Age range
Ages 10–11

Standards

uk-nc-2013:Eng.App2.Y6.Sent.2uk-nc-2013:Eng.UKS2.Write.VGP.1a