Curriculum

Explore all 1,590 open curriculum concepts.

Advanced filters 2
Personal & Social DevelopmentEmotional LiteracyAges 5–7

Expressing Feelings with Words

Express their own feelings appropriately using words rather than actions — saying 'I feel angry because...' instead of hitting, shouting, or withdrawing

Teach this topic
Share and support

Teaching Table · Plan outline

Set out your lesson

A reviewed step-by-step guide is not available yet. This is an outline from the plan, not a fully authored guide.

“When your child is frustrated — say a sibling takes their toy — do they use words to say how they feel rather than snatching it back or crying?”

Full guide and materials
  1. Activity. Express their own feelings appropriately using words rather than actions — saying 'I feel angry because...' instead of hitting, shouting, or withdrawing

What to notice. Use an 'I feel ___ when ___' statement during a disagreement • Choose to tell an adult how they feel instead of acting out physically • Describe their feelings about a difficult situation using at least two emotion words

Compare teaching approaches

Teaching approaches

Gakuva’s recommended starting approach is selected. You can still compare every option.

1 approach

Selected Default Gakuva

When your child is frustrated — say a sibling takes their toy — do they use words to say how they feel rather than snatching it back or crying?

Express their own feelings appropriately using words rather than actions — saying 'I feel angry because...' instead of hitting, shouting, or withdrawing

Family records and proof options

Keep a record of your learning

Save photos, notes, and attendance. Export a proof packet for compliance or portfolio reviews.

Learning resources

Reviewed external links that reinforce this concept. They do not replace Gakuva’s teaching approach.

Toy Theater · Practice link — not the full lesson

Feelings Today

Supplemental vocabulary support: with an adult prompt, choose an emotion word, say “I feel ___ because ___,” and name a safe next action instead of acting the feeling out. The tool supplies words, not scenarios or behavior coaching.

Free · no login · ads

Review and open practice
Before you open

Save a screenshot of the selected feeling tile plus a parent note quoting the learner’s “I feel ___ because ___” statement and safe next action.

Opening this link does not save learning or assess mastery.

Open practice (new tab)
Source, access and review notes

Supplemental vocabulary support: with an adult prompt, choose an emotion word, say “I feel ___ because ___,” and name a safe next action instead of acting the feeling out. The tool supplies words, not scenarios or behavior coaching.

Save a screenshot of the selected feeling tile plus a parent note quoting the learner’s “I feel ___ because ___” statement and safe next action.

Free · no login · ads

Unknown — link only

Check understanding

  • Use an 'I feel ___ when ___' statement during a disagreement
  • Choose to tell an adult how they feel instead of acting out physically
  • Describe their feelings about a difficult situation using at least two emotion words
“When your child is frustrated — say a sibling takes their toy — do they use words to say how they feel rather than snatching it back or crying?”

Curriculum record

Type
Procedural
Subject
Personal & Social Development
Domain
Emotional Literacy
Age range
Ages 5–7

Standards

ib-pyp-pspe:PSPE.INT.P1.LO.4