Curriculum

Explore all 1,590 open curriculum concepts.

Advanced filters 2
EnglishGrammar & PunctuationAges 5–7

Capitals for Names, Days and I

Use capital letters for proper nouns (names of people, places) the days of the week, and the personal pronoun 'I'

Teach this topic
Share and support

Teaching Table · Reviewed guide

Set out your lesson

“Names of people and places start with a capital. Days of the week start with a capital. The word I is always a capital when it means yourself.”

Bring to the table

  • Ready word cards in lowercase: sam, monday, paris, i, friday, tom
  • Paper and pencil
Full guide and materials
  • Ready word cards in lowercase: sam, monday, paris, i, friday, tom
  • Paper and pencil
  1. Step 1. Show sam, monday, paris, and i. Rewrite each correctly: Sam, Monday, Paris, I.
  2. Step 2. Have your child fix friday and tom independently.
  3. Step 3. Dictate: “I play on Friday.” Your child writes it with capitals for I and Friday.
  4. Step 4. Check every name, day, and I together.
  5. Quick check. Success means your child correctly capitalizes one person’s name, one day, and I in writing.

Worked example. sarah → Sarah. monday → Monday. i → I. “i like tom” becomes “I like Tom.”

Optional challenge. Write three short sentences: one with a name, one with a day, and one with I, all capitalized correctly.

What to notice. Save a photo of the corrected words or the sentence with capitals marked.

Compare teaching approaches

Teaching approaches

Gakuva’s recommended starting approach is selected. You can still compare every option.

2 approaches

Selected Default Gakuva

Names of people and places start with a capital. Days of the week start with a capital. The word I is always a capital when it means yourself.

Spend about 10 minutes fixing capitalization on ready words and writing one short sentence with I.

Gakuva

Use capitals for names, days and the pronoun I within sentences.

Use capitals for names, days and the pronoun I within sentences.

Family records and proof options

Keep a record of your learning

Save photos, notes, and attendance. Export a proof packet for compliance or portfolio reviews.

Learning resources

Reviewed external links that reinforce this concept. They do not replace Gakuva’s teaching approach.

No reviewed resources for this concept yet.

The teaching approach above still stands. Curated practice links will appear here as the shelf fills.

Check understanding

  • Capitalise names of people and places consistently in writing
  • Write the pronoun 'I' as a capital letter
  • Capitalise days of the week (e.g. 'Monday')
“If your child is writing their friend's name or the name of a town, do they automatically start it with a capital letter — and do they write the word 'I' with a capital when talking about themselves?”

Curriculum record

Type
Procedural
Subject
English
Domain
Grammar & Punctuation
Age range
Ages 5–7

Standards

ccss-ela:L.1.2auk-nc-2013:Eng.App2.Y1.Punc.3uk-nc-2013:Eng_Y1_WVGP_04